Friday, May 28, 2010

Reality Bites

Well tonight...tonight has been a night of reality and stress.
Had a small paper cut on my finger, hit it on a metal fastener
earlier at work today and then
all of a sudden I am trying to figure out why there is blood
all over my paperwork that i am working on....crap, the stupid
fastener ripped my paper cut open and it will not stop bleeding.
Help from my co-workers and band aids and finally stops, but now to type...
yeah that isn't going to be easy, and go figure it is the middle finger.

So day is almost done and I get a frantic call from my daughter,
her fish tank is leaking...crap....rush home, well the fish are
now in Tupperware....I knew I bought them for something...
she has most of it cleaned up and we have to now take back the
one tank she has and get a glass one....fine as long at it doesn't cost
me anything more....well it was just a little more.

Get her home, she is going to set it up, as I go over to a friends to help
her move some furniture, another call from my daughter, not enough
gravel and need the light bulbs for the tank....ok I am on my way home.

Back to the pet store, now let me say that I have this little short cut I always
take to the pet store through this one neighborhood,
it is a nice little quiet neighborhood with a park you drive past
it has this condo complex where I have had some friends live, love these condos.
So we get the gravel and the light bulbs and we leave the pet store
so I head back through my little short cut....oh crap reality hits me...this
is the condo complex that whats his face his moving to....reality hits me
I need to stop day dreaming of a romantic reunion...reality hits me....
he is never coming back...he doesn't love you...he doesn't want to be with you...
or that fact anyone...he wants to grow old alone...I know he has told me this
several times and I have tried to convince myself to accept but, but we all know
how that goes, I am a female...we can't do that easily....reality hit me...crap...

So here I am driving through this neighborhood holding back the tears
trying not to let my daughter know I am crying as I drive home...
because reality hits me....and reality bites...bites the big one....

So what else can happen, my daughter sets up the new fish tank and starts
putting the fish into it....one keep floating and another is sinking....crap
well out of four fish two are now dead....reality bites....

Fish number one is flushed....and she is watching fish number two....
well now we flush that one...she is so stressed she takes off with her
boyfriend to get some fresh air.

So I sit here with the tip of my middle finger hurting,
hoping I am all cried out...I can't do this anymore....
and thinking whats his face has the right idea
grow old alone and you don't have to worry about being hurt.

I head to bed, I am going to read, well now I really don't want to read
the book I had just started, Men are from Mars Women are from Venus
Why read that one....I am going to take a cue from whats his face and
grow old alone...so I look for a new book and fine Sex, Drugs and Coco Puffs
I will read that, that sounds good....

I read for a while, then go to sleep, I wake up and go to the bath room
for some reason I decide I need to go check on the fish tank in
daughters room, she still isn't home yet....oh crap...reality bites...
Her favorite fish is now dead....I guess we will have to go shopping
for new fish tomorrow...so I text her and she texts me back she is
almost home....I hear her come into the house, and hear the sound
of the favorite fish being flushed....

My friend told me recently her theory about fish is
that god created fish to teach us about death....

REALITY BITES SOMETIMES.

3 comments:

  1. As I sit here trying to unjam the paperclip from my vacuum cleaner, I start crying again...reality bites...I realized why it hurts so much the thought that he "lied"....he had told me that a mutual friend of ours from HS years ago he had fallen madly in love with...and I really thought he had feeling for me, and was falling in love with me...to realize he wasn't hurts, but to know who he fell in love with, all I can think, he loved her why can't he love me...I know this woman, and as nice as a person that she is, I know her real well and how she can be a mean person and throw people and men away like they were nothing...how could he have loved her and not me...wow that reality bites...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Reality* is a shifting concept--like the bits of glass tumbling in a kaleidoscope. What happened? What does it mean? Why?

    I found out yesterday that man I had met at a wedding last year who was bouncy, exuberant, but--I thought--maybe a little late for the midlife crisis trying to party with the twenty-somethings--is dying. And knew he was then.

    Turn the kaleidoscope, the broken glass shifts, and a new pattern emerges.

    Grieve, because you have to--there is no other choice other than turning your heart and soul to ice, but remember you are a wonder and a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gweenie, I feel now as if I should take a cue from whats his face (as some have referred to him), he was hurt and shut down and told himself he would never love again, I have been hurt in the same way he was and now feel as if I should shut down and never love again...thanks...so maybe I should take that choice and turn my heart and soul into ice....

    ReplyDelete